My interview with author Sheila Glazov, mother to a son with type 1 diabetes is posted on the Diabetes Health website today. Sheila was inspiring to talk to, and offered tips to parents of kids with diabetes:
Glazov’s Tips for Parents of Newly Diagnosed Children
1. Search until you find the best healthcare professionals for your child.
2. Read, read, and read as much as possible.
3. Talk to others to learn their management tricks and to learn what’s new in research and education.
4. Take good care of yourself so that you can take excellent care of your child and model healthy behavior.
5. Remember that although your child has a chronic illness, your child is not the disease. She is not “a diabetic,” but a person who happens to have diabetes.
6. Teach your child to take excellent care of himself and, when age appropriate, assume responsibility for his daily diabetes management regime.
7. Educate everyone who comes into contact with your child, including family, friends, school faculty, and sport coaches.